Upcoming Special Events
Be sure to check out this page or our brochure for details on upcoming special events! Would you like to volunteer for one of these events? Send us an email at email@example.com and let us know that you are interested!
Summer Concert Series
Bring the family and join us Wednesday evenings for FREE live music at Trout Lake Community Centre outdoor performance area (east side of building). There will be an arts & crafts station, a TLCC Youth BBQ fundraiser and on occasions, a food truck! The performances are held every Wednesday rain or shine at 6:30pm.
July 6 – Sanctuary All Stars
A 17 piece big swing jazz band led by Bob Liley.
- July 13 – Wheat in the Barley
A blend of their traditional tunes will be a big hit with all-ages audiences.
- July 20 – Soda Crackers
Vintage country, jazz and roots music.
- July 27 – Deanna Knight & the Hot Club of Mars
Travel back in time to the early jazz era of the 1920’s & 30’s and experience one of Vancouver’s most eclectic gypsy-jazz ensembles.
- August 3 – The Lonesome Town Painters
Vancouver’s traditional bluegrass standard-bearers. Their spirited performances kick the dust off of golden-era favourites, and bristle with emotional honesty.
- August 10 – Rio Samaya Band
Original music of songs and poetry in a magical combination of Latin, Reggae & Rhumba.
- August 17 – Silk Road
A musical adventure that explores China and beyond. Through thousands of concerts around the world, Silk Road Music delivers virtuosity and imagination.
- August 24 – Patrizia Coletta
A musician/vocalist performing a variety of music in multiple languages. Get ready to party!
Magic Trout Imaginarium Mini Summer Events
Please pre-register as space is limited. Children under 8 must be accompanied by an adult.
Make a Cosmic Crown – Take a stab at needle felting and learn how to felt stars and planets into a wire crown headpiece. All materials provided.
Sat | 12:00 PM-3:00 PM | Jul 2 | $2/1 sess
- Vision Boarding Workshop – Come create a vision board for yourself and explore the various ways in which they can be used to help find clarity, focus and strengthen the connection with our intuition. All materials provided. Please pre-register space is limited.
Su | 11:00 AM-2:00 PM | Jul 3 | FREE/1 sess
- Nature Art Event – Join us on a natural art making adventure based on the art of Andy Goldsworthy. We will use flowers, branches, rocks and naturally occurring patterns as both your inspiration and art materials!
Wed | 10:00 AM-12:00 PM | Jul 27 | $2/1 sess
- Tiny Homes for Fairies and Gnomes – Build magical tiny homes for gnomes and fairies out of pine cones, moss, rocks, sticks and natural materials. Children will get to bring home their own tiny house creation to attract fairies and gnomes to their own garden.
Wed | 10:00 AM-12:00 PM | Aug 3 | $2/1 sess
- Poetry in Nature Event – Using stamps and alcohol based markers we will make leaves, rocks, flowers and natural items as our medium. We will create poems and stories using natural wonder as our inspiration.
Wed | 10:00 AM-12:00 PM | Aug 10 | $2/1 sess
- Sneaky Scavenger Hunt – Expeditioners in training will learn to read maps and use magnifying glasses in order to find hidden treasures in John Hendry Park.
Wed | 10:00 AM-12:00 PM | Aug 17 | $2/1 sess
- Curiosity Cabinet Collections Event – Curiosity cabinets are personal displays for showing off your most special collectables. Whether you are an explorer or a scientist in training, we will be heading out on an expedition to collect specimens in and around John Hendry Park.
Wed | 10:00 AM-12:00 PM | Aug 24 | $2/1 sess
Latin Summer Fest
The Original Latin Outdoor City Celebration, Latin Summer Fest, has change their event location this year. You can find them at the Stetson Bowl in Cloverdale. More information can be found atlatinsummerfest.com.
Sun | 11:00 AM-7:00 PM | Aug 14 | FREE
Vines Art Festival
Vines Art Festival is Vancouver’s newest, public eco-arts festival – a no-fee community-oriented event where artists, performers and audiences deepen their connections to each other on beautiful Coast Salish landscape with an animated celebration of environmentally inspired art and performance. Bring your friends and family for a day of environmentally inspired performances and sustainability conversations. For scheduling and information, please visit vinesartfestival.com.
Sat | 12:00 PM-7:00 PM | Aug 20 | FREE
Trout Lake Photo Contest 2016 – Festivals and Events
Trout Lake Park hosts many festivals in the spring, summer and fall, at all times of the day and through all types of weather. Many photographers capture their excitement, quiet, and beauty, diversity, chaos and sometimes challenges.
The Grandview Community Association is sponsoring a third annual photo contest and is looking for images that celebrate festivals and events. Trout Lake (John Hendry Park) must be easily identified in each picture and the event names and date must be included.
Greeting cards will be made with the winning photos and sets of these will be sold in the centre. The images will also be used in brochures and in posters at the community centre.
Prizes are $50 gift certificate to community centre programs for the top five photos and a set of greeting cards.
- Formats for submission: submit by email in hi res j-peg format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submit a tiff back up if you have one.
- Deadline – submit by September 30th, 2016.
- Prizes – $50 gift certificate for Trout Lake Community Centre programs for each of the top 4 winners and a package of the photo cards.
- Selection will be by a local photographer and Grandview Community Centre Association board members.
- Permissions – winners will be asked to sign a rights agreement allowing for use of the image for the photo cards which may be sold by the centre, and for in centre use and display. Any other use will be negotiated.
- Winners will be announced at an event in the Fall.
Family Day 2016 Recap Video
Another busy event, thanks for celebrating Family Day with us!
Family Day 2015 Recap Video
Thanks for coming… see you again next year!
Family Day 2014 Recap Video
Thanks for coming to the event, we hope you enjoyed it as much as we did!
Music on the Bow – ft. Chris Hadfield!
Thanks for stopping by, Chris! Hope to see you around again jamming with the Highrise Lonesome.
For more information on special events, please click here.