Upcoming Special Events
Be sure to check out this page or our brochure for details on upcoming special events! Would you like to volunteer for one of these events? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know that you are interested!
Artist In Community
Learn about fibre arts with Emily Smith, capture the essence of your neighbours with Francoise Thibault’s 2 way mirrored drawing devices, take a tour of the Tiny Community Center and hear how it was built with project Director Zee Kesler and learn all about our first project “The Magic Trout Imaginarium”!
The Magic Trout Imaginarium is a project based out of the Tiny Community Center; the first ‘tiny house’ ever used as a community classroom and artist residency. As a curiosity cabinet with a modern twist, artists Zee Kesler, Emily Smith and Françoise Thibault will explore art making as a means of self-expression in order to create a new understanding and appreciation of Trout Lake’s natural ecology, environment and neighbourhood as a place of wonder and inspiration. This is the first time the Tiny Community Center has been open to the public, so come check it out and invite your friends!
Music on the Bow
Please join on the bow for a good night of good music and good company!
- Chris Ronald – Chris was nominated for “Song Writer of the Year” at the Canadian Folk Music Awards. In a recent review, The Georgia Straight praised his “immaculate songcraft and keenly luxuriant voice.”
Tue | 7:00 PM-9:00 PM | Apr 12, May 10, Jun 14 | FREE
- The Soda Crackers – Enjoy the best of Bluegrass music!
Wed | 7:00 PM-9:00 PM | Apr 20, May 18, Jun 22 | FREE
- Riosamaya – Original music of songs and poetry in a magical combination of Latin, Reggae & Rhumba.
Wed | 7:00 PM-9:00 PM | Apr 6, 13, May 11, 25 | FREE
- Thursday Night Jazz Trio – Enjoy the best of jazz music!
Thu | 7:00 PM-9:00 PM | Apr 14, May 12, Jun 9, Jul 14, Aug 11 | FREE
Intro to Botanical Illustration
Learn the basics of botanical illustration! We will go through a series of exercises to loosen up your drawing brain. Please bring in any samples you’d like to draw otherwise, we can select samples from in and around Trout Lake. Please pre-register.
Sun | 12:00 PM-3:00 PM | June 18 | FREE
National Aboriginal Day
Join us as we celebrate culture, community, and 20 years of National Aboriginal Day with artist demos, children’s activities, musical performances and canoe rides! National Aboriginal Day at Trout Lake is a free, full day of festival events filled with fun for the whole family. The event begins off at the Vancouver Aboriginal Friendship Centre Society (VAFCS, located at 1607 East Hastings St.) with a pancake breakfast at 9:00AM and a friendship walk from the Friendship Centre to Trout Lake at 11:00AM. More information about this event can be found at www.bcnationalaboriginalday.com
Tue | 12:00 PM-5:00 PM | June 21 | FREE
Intergalactic Imagination Celebration
As our artist residency at Trout Lake Community Centre comes to a close, Françoise, Emily and Zee are celebrating “space style.” The final party happens at the Magic Trout Imaginarium July 15, 6-9pm with fun for the whole family: immersive environments, art making, music, silly hats, food and of course a fortune telling magic trout!
Fri | 6:00 PM-9:00 PM | July 15 | FREE
Magic Trout Imaginarium Mini Summer Events
Please pre-register as space is limited. Children under 8 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Make a Cosmic Crown – Take a stab at needle felting and learn how to felt stars and planets into a wire crown headpiece. All materials provided.
Sat | 12:00 PM-3:00 PM | Jul 2 | $2/1 sess
- Vision Boarding Workshop – Come create a vision board for yourself and explore the various ways in which they can be used to help find clarity, focus and strengthen the connection with our intuition. All materials provided. Please pre-register space is limited.
Su | 11:00 AM-2:00 PM | Jul 3 | FREE/1 sess
- Nature Art Event – Join us on a natural art making adventure based on the art of Andy Goldsworthy. We will use flowers, branches, rocks and naturally occurring patterns as both your inspiration and art materials!
Wed | 10:00 AM-12:00 PM | Jul 27 | $2/1 sess
- Tiny Homes for Fairies and Gnomes – Build magical tiny homes for gnomes and fairies out of pine cones, moss, rocks, sticks and natural materials. Children will get to bring home their own tiny house creation to attract fairies and gnomes to their own garden.
Wed | 10:00 AM-12:00 PM | Aug 3 | $2/1 sess
- Poetry in Nature Event – Using stamps and alcohol based markers we will make leaves, rocks, flowers and natural items as our medium. We will create poems and stories using natural wonder as our inspiration.
Wed | 10:00 AM-12:00 PM | Aug 10 | $2/1 sess
- Sneaky Scavenger Hunt – Expeditioners in training will learn to read maps and use magnifying glasses in order to find hidden treasures in John Hendry Park.
Wed | 10:00 AM-12:00 PM | Aug 17 | $2/1 sess
- Curiosity Cabinet Collections Event – Curiosity cabinets are personal displays for showing off your most special collectables. Whether you are an explorer or a scientist in training, we will be heading out on an expedition to collect specimens in and around John Hendry Park.
Wed | 10:00 AM-12:00 PM | Aug 24 | $2/1 sess
Vines Art Festival
Vines Art Festival is Vancouver’s newest, public eco-arts festival – a no-fee community-oriented event where artists, performers and audiences deepen their connections to each other on beautiful Coast Salish landscape with an animated celebration of environmentally inspired art and performance. Bring your friends and family for a day of environmentally inspired performances and sustainability conversations. For scheduling and information, please visitvinesartfestival.com.
Sat | 12:00 PM-7:00 PM | Aug 20 | FREE
Trout Lake Photo Contest 2016 – Festivals and Events
Trout Lake Park hosts many festivals in the spring, summer and fall, at all times of the day and through all types of weather. Many photographers capture their excitement, quiet, and beauty, diversity, chaos and sometimes challenges.
The Grandview Community Association is sponsoring a third annual photo contest and is looking for images that celebrate festivals and events. Trout Lake (John Hendry Park) must be easily identified in each picture and the event names and date must be included.
Greeting cards will be made with the winning photos and sets of these will be sold in the centre. The images will also be used in brochures and in posters at the community centre.
Prizes are $50 gift certificate to community centre programs for the top five photos and a set of greeting cards.
- Formats for submission: submit by email in hi res j-peg format to email@example.com. Submit a tiff back up if you have one.
- Deadline – submit by September 30th, 2016.
- Prizes – $50 gift certificate for Trout Lake Community Centre programs for each of the top 4 winners and a package of the photo cards.
- Selection will be by a local photographer and Grandview Community Centre Association board members.
- Permissions – winners will be asked to sign a rights agreement allowing for use of the image for the photo cards which may be sold by the centre, and for in centre use and display. Any other use will be negotiated.
- Winners will be announced at an event in the Fall.
Family Day 2016 Recap Video
Another busy event, thanks for celebrating Family Day with us!
Family Day 2015 Recap Video
Thanks for coming… see you again next year!
Family Day 2014 Recap Video
Thanks for coming to the event, we hope you enjoyed it as much as we did!
Music on the Bow – ft. Chris Hadfield!
Thanks for stopping by, Chris! Hope to see you around again jamming with the Highrise Lonesome.
For more information on special events, please click here.